Pages

Monday 24 June 2013

Wind Wind and More Wind!!!!


So I spent the weekend RYA Volvo coaching which was OK until the predicted forecast became a reality! 20mph and gusts of 35mph! Not really ideal weather for coaching 7 to 13 year olds! So it was plan B go onto our small lake which is set just back from the club, a perfect facility to teach on a day which would of otherwise been a dry theory session day.

The weekend was a success despite the weather but it did get me thinking about the changing wind we seem to be getting. It seems to me that as each year passes the number of windy days seems to be increasing in our area. I am not saying that I have factual evidence more it feels like this is happening. If I am in fact correct it does strengthen the argument for a more manageable skiff style boat here in the UK and would the Farr be the ideal boat for that?

If your thinking would I of gone out at the weekend for a sail the answer would be no for a number of reasons.

1)      I was coaching!!

2)      The gusts were very irregular and although I think the boat could quite easily be depowered it was the range between gust and normal wind which would of put me off.

3)      I have only just got the boat and intend on spending the summer sailing and not fixing it! (Well not just yet!)

 

Anyway I digress. The slight change in my intended programme resulted in me getting the chance to talk to a few of our Topper sailors about their intended journey through sailing. Most have aspirations to sail fast handicap boats and are looking to end up in 49rs or single handed Musto Skiff or RS700’s. The double handed option is fairly well covered with Laser 3000, 4000 and RS building the 200, 400 and 800. I suppose my issue is if you choose the single handed route and have done your time in a topper, you have a fairly easy transition into a Laser but then it becomes more difficult. Contender, RS 600, RS 700 or Musto? As a person who has been instructing for a while now (too many to remember) when I am asked what I would suggest by cadets and parents as to the next stage I really do struggle. Some of our cadets in the past have made this transition easily into high performance skiff but the majority have tried and failed due to not having the time to put into the boat and then either get turned off sailing altogether, only sail on light wind days or sell up and buy another class. If we had a boat in the UK which bridged the gap would that help cadets achieve their aspirations, provide a safer progression?

 

I would love to hear from people via the comment section. Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking the Farr could be a great boat to help bridge this gap or do I have a valid point? Hummmmm!???

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more about the new wind pattern we are experiencing. And you may have stumbled upon my own personnel climate change theory with regard to sailing and Farr 3.7s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad its not just me! The high weather did give me the opportunity to get interest up on test sails during the summer. Just need a decent wind when I am not teaching to start refining my technique. This could take a while!! Had an interesting conversation with Dave Barker re handicap. We are both going towards about 1040 or 1050 with the theory if we start clearing up it must be too high instead of having it low and it never moving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The calculations and conversations that I have be involved with put it at 1039, it's only the nob ends at the Bloody Mary that decided to put it down much further! (1015? if I remember right?) And given that all 3.7 owners are new, and need to learn the fastest way around the course... I think you are about right!

    ReplyDelete