Pages

Thursday 1 August 2013

Wind of the gods!!

Well it seemed all my grumbles did not go unnoticed. The forecast was 10knts and it delivered that and more! What a great sail. I started to feel the breeze increase just after leaving shore and it just built and built. At about 12 knots the boat felt great well balanced and with the weight in the right place the bow lifted and it took off! Although the boat is not as quick as the 700 the feeling is so much better. Movement of weight and lowering the trap lines makes masses of difference and the upwind speed and feel was lovely as I could use the full power of the rig to get the boat really moving.  

It was now time for the downwind sections to ensure that when I finally get a chance to race at the club I can keep him (yes its a him, apparently all NZ boats are) upright. Gybe 1 not bad still upright, Gybe 2 better, Gybe 4 nailed it!!

Now I wouldn't say I am the best sailor by any standards but when all the other boats out (lasers) are going over and you are just powered up and flying you have got to hand it to Farr to produce a great fun boat that you can sail in a decent wind even if the boat is old in design and looks compared to other more popular skiffs. It does still have that Cherub feel and if you get it wrong it can bite back but the more I sail him the more you get in tune with what might happen.

All in all a fantastic sail in wind averaging 12 knots but with consistent prolonged  gusts of about 20 knots. Top gust recorded from the club ( which is sheltered from where I was sailing) said 22.6 knots (26mph).

Hopefully the forecast is right for today which says 17mph and my lovely wife has said that she will eat alone again so I can go out and play. I have however taken the role of cleaner monkey today and after spending all morning upstairs I only have the upstairs bathroom to do. Then its off to the club to wait for the tide to come in!!!

God I love the summer we are having!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment